Winter Fuel Delivery Reminders
Help us deliver successfully
It’s wintertime in Sullivan County, and with the season comes a few things you need to do as a homeowner that will help us make safe and efficient fuel deliveries regardless of what the weather throws at us this year. Keeping your walkways and driveways clear, paying special attention to your fuel levels and accessibility on your property, all these things are especially important when snow and ice are in the forecast. In the days leading up to, during, and following a winter storm, you need to be even more vigilant.
Follow the steps below to help keep your family (and the Black Bear delivery crew) safe this winter:
- Attach a brightly-colored flag to the top of your oil tank. This will make it possible for our oil delivery crew to find it when the weather affects visibility. A flag will also make it easier for our delivery drivers to safely and effectively position their trucks.
- Regularly remove any snow or ice that may have accumulated along your walkways and driveways. Always have a safe pathway to every point of access our delivery team will need.
- Remove any snow that’s accumulated on your oil tank. Shovel a path to it and then use a broom to clear any snow and ice away from the tank itself. Don’t use a shovel for this. If you do, you risk puncturing your tank and ending up with a leak.
- Check your vents and flues regularly to make sure they’re clear. This is an important step to prevent a build-up of carbon monoxide in your home. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a serious medical emergency and can be fatal. Test your carbon monoxide detectors monthly and replace the batteries in them at least twice a year. You’ll need to replace the entire unit every 5 to 7 years.
- Keep a vigilant eye on your fuel levels if you’re not an automatic delivery customer. The colder it gets, the more frequently you need to make checks because your usage will increase, and if you don’t stay on top of your levels, you run the risk of a runout. Before your tank is less than one-quarter full, call Black Bear for a delivery. Don’t wait until the last minute. Delivery slots are harder to come by in the winter months. However, you can greatly simplify your life and receive priority deliveries by signing up for automatic propane or heating oil delivery. We’ll track your usage and the weather and determine an appropriate delivery schedule. You’ll never have to give it a second thought or worry about a run-out.
Black Bear Fuel Oil offers our Sullivan, Orange, and Ulster country customers prompt and reliable service. Our large fleet of trucks are always ready to deliver—even when our competitors can’t. Click here to see if we’re in your neighborhood.
Black Bear has the experience and resources to keep you comfortable and warm all winter. If you want reliable fuel delivery, become a customer today.