Spring Is Here: Prepare Your Home Cooling System
Tips for the Season
Now that spring has begun to warm things up in Sullivan County, it’s a good time to give some thought to your central AC system and make sure it will be able to perform for you and your family when things really heat up.
Here are some things you need to do and consider this spring to make sure your AC is prepared for the hot months ahead:
- Consider an upgrade. If your AC system is more than 15 years old, it’s time to look into upgrading to a new and more efficient system. Black Bear installs central AC systems, as well as mini-split cooling systems. And you can trust us to give you a fair price on the equipment and all related services.
- Check your thermostat. Make sure it’s working properly and replace the batteries.
- Check your vents. Move anything that could block the cool air coming out of your vents (e.g., drapes, curtains, furniture, etc.).
- Check your ductwork. Seal up any obvious leaks and fix out-of-place duct joints in exposed ductwork areas. Leaks lead to wasted energy (and money spent on your cooling bills).
- Clear the drain line. This will ensure that water won’t get diverted back into your home or toward your foundation and cause problems.
- Check your AC filter for blockages. Be sure to check your air filter monthly and replace or clean it as needed. A blocked filter will lower your system’s efficiency. A chronically blocked AC filter could cause your cooling system to fail.
- Check your electrical lines. Check all electrical connections and circuit breakers. Make sure there are no wiring problems that could cause you to lose power to your AC.
- Clean the outdoor condenser unit. Check for and remove any debris like leaves, twigs, and nests to make sure your system has adequate airflow.
Let Black Bear Handle It
If you’d rather not do all of the above, Black Bear can handle it for you. Our technicians can perform preventative maintenance to diagnose and correct any potential problems. As part of your maintenance visit, we’ll check the refrigerant levels to ensure there are no leaks, clean and tighten ducts and connectors, and oil up the motor within the AC unit.
Customers count on Black Bear Fuel Oil, Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning for affordability, quality service, and efficiency. Black Bear serves customers in Sullivan County and parts of Ulster and Orange Counties.
Ready to schedule your HVAC maintenance visit? Call the Bear, and we’ll be there!