How Propane Is Made – And Other Fun Facts | Black Bear Fuel
Proposed NY carbon tax could cost your family $21,000 over 10 years. Help fight it. Click here

Blog

How Propane Is Made – And Other Fun Facts

about propane new yorkIf you’re a Rez-Bear Propane customer, you probably already know how efficient, clean-burning and versatile propane is. But what else do you know about this incredible gas?

Here are some interesting facts about propane – to learn even more, watch this video.

  • Most domestic propane is made as a byproduct of natural gas processing – which is why propane supply has increased in recent years. Some propane is also produced from the crude oil refinement process: combined with butane, propane accounts for between one and four percent of processed crude oil.
  • Propane has a chemical formula of C3H8, which makes it a three-carbon alkane. It is one of the lightest hydrocarbons in existence, and one of the cleanest burning of all fossil fuels.
  • In its natural form, propane is nontoxic, colorless, and odorless; a chemical called mercaptan is added to propane to give it its distinctive “rotten egg” smell, making a leak easier to detect.
  • Propane is 270 times more compact as a liquid than as a gas – which is why it is stored and transported as a liquid.
  • Most of our domestic propane supply (about 90 percent) is produced right here at home. About two-thirds of the remaining 10 percent comes from Canada and Mexico.
  • Propane is the only alternative fuel listed in the 1990 amendments to the Clean Air Act and the National Energy Policy Act of 1992; neither the process by which propane is produced nor the combustion of propane gas produces significant acid rain contaminants.
  • Propane appliances are performance kings: furnaces and water heaters can reach efficiencies that exceed 95 percent. Propane clothes dryers dry fabrics more quickly while creating less static than electric units, saving you time and money and reducing wear and tear on your wardrobe. Propane cooking ranges offer precision temperature control – a key reason why nearly 95 percent of professional chefs choose to cook with gas. Propane stoves also cost less to operate than their electric counterparts.

Propane – a high-performance fuel for your home or business! Thinking about making the switch? Contact Rez-Bear Propane today at (845) 791-4GAS to learn about propane delivery and appliance service in Northern Orange and Eastern Ulster counties.

Latest information about our service during the coronavirus outbreak, Click here