Preparing Your A/C for the Warmer Months Ahead
We’re into mid-April, which means that warmer weather is on the way to the Hudson Valley – time to get your central A/C in shape for the spring and summer heat to come!
Here are five things you can do in the coming weeks to prepare your central air conditioning system for the its annual home cooling workout.
1. Clean/replace the air filter – A clogged air filter blocks airflow, causing your air conditioner to waste energy and possibly even fail prematurely. Replace your air filter early in the season and check it every 30 days or so when once your cooling system is in daily use.
2. Inspect and clear the outdoor condensing unit – Birds, insects and other creatures can make a home inside of the condensing unit; remove their nests before you power up your AC.
It’s also important to keep condenser coils debris-free so they can dissipate heat – a function critical for proper function of your air conditioner. Use a garden hose to push out yard and other debris, taking care not to bend over the delicate aluminum fins. Trim trees and bushes around the condensing unit, leaving at least two feet of clear space around and at least 8 feet of clearance above the unit to ensure adequate air flow.
3. Check vents and ductwork – Clean vent registers (soapy water works great) and clear away vent-blocking rugs, curtains, furniture, and other items. If you detect a stale smell coming from your vents, consider having the ductwork professionally cleaned and sealed.
4. Give your A/C a test run – Start up the air conditioner to make sure it powers on and off properly. If it doesn’t,
- Make sure your thermostat is set for the “air conditioner” or “cool” setting.
- Make sure that your thermostat is set to at least 5 degrees below the current room temperature.
- Check circuit breakers to make sure they have not been tripped.
- Make sure all power switches affecting the unit are in the on position.
- If you’ve tried all of these measures and the A/C still doesn’t work, contact us for HVAC service.
5. Schedule annual A/C maintenance – A professional HVAC tune-up keeps your equipment running better for longer and helps spot small issues before they become expensive repairs.
Spring and summer heat are coming – make sure your air conditioner is ready. Schedule your A/C maintenance today!