No Heat? Here’s What You Can Do
Tips for troubleshooting your heating system before you call for service
Your house is cold. Your heating system isn’t working. What do you do? Don’t panic. Follow the steps below to determine if you need to call for service. And if you do need service, Black Bear offers 24/7 emergency service every day of the year to existing customers. Contact us any time.
Troubleshooting your oil heating system
If your heat is out, try the following steps:
- Set your thermostat to at least five degrees higher than your current room temperature. (You may also need to set your thermostat to “heat”.) If your heating system doesn’t come on after a few minutes, go to the next step.
- Check that your system’s power switch is set to the “on” position.
- Check your oil or propane tank’s level. Is it at least 1/8 full? If you have less than 1/8 of a tank, it’s time to call for a heating oil delivery. If you have more than 1/8 of a tank, proceed to the next step.
- Go to your circuit breaker box. Are all the circuit breakers on? If yes, proceed to the next step.
- Do you have a steam boiler or a hot water?
a. If you have a steam boiler, check the water level in the gauge glass. Is it at least ½ full? If yes, press and hold the “reset” button on the burner for 3 seconds. Don’t push this button more than once. If your heat doesn’t come on, call for service.
b. If you have a hot water boiler, press and hold the “reset” button on the burner for 3 seconds. Don’t push this button more than once. If your heat doesn’t come on, call for service.
- Do you have a furnace?
a. Is your air filter clean? To check it…
ⅰ. Shut off the system’s power. (This is a very important step.)
ⅱ. Locate the air filter. It will be somewhere along the system’s return air duct.
ⅲ. Remove the air filter and see if it’s clean. A clogged filter can cause your system to overheat and shut down. If your air filter is clean, go to the next step.
b. Press and hold the “reset” button on the burner for 3 seconds. Don’t push this button more than once. If your heat doesn’t come on, call for service.
You can also use our interactive tool for step-by-step instructions and useful images that will help you troubleshoot your oil heating system. If you need emergency service or a delivery of heating oil, Black Bear is ready to serve you.
Black Bear Fuel Oil, Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning provides the best heating, AC, and plumbing services in Sullivan County and beyond. We’re big enough to handle any job, but small enough to care about you.
Whether you need a heating oil delivery, plumbing or HVAC maintenance, or around-the-clock emergency service, Black Bear will be there when and where you need us. Contact us today to learn more. You can rely on Black Bear.