No Heat at Home? Do This!
Here’s how to troubleshoot before you call for service.
There’s still some sting left in winter, and if you find yourself without heat on one of March’s colder days, that can be a real problem. If your home gets too cold, that can put the health and safety of your family in jeopardy. You also run the risk of frozen or burst pipes, which can lead to expensive repairs. Even though not having heat is a potential emergency, there’s no need to panic if your heating system stops working. Before you call for service, there are a few steps you can take that may help get your heat back up and running.
There’s no need to panic if you’re without heat, but you do need to act quickly. Before you call for service, try doing the following:
- Raise your thermostat at least five degrees above current room temperature. (You may first need to change your thermostat’s setting to “heat”.) If your heating system doesn’t start running in after a few minutes, proceed to step 2.
- Check to make sure your system’s power switch is set to the “on” position. If it is and you still have no heat, proceed to step 3.
- Check your fuel levels. If you have less than 1/8 of a tank, call Black Bear for a heating oil delivery, or call RezBear for a propane delivery. If you have more than 1/8 of a tank, proceed to step 4.
- Check your circuit breaker box. If all the circuit breakers are on and you have a boiler, proceed to step 5. If all the circuit breakers are on and you have a furnace, proceed to step 6.
- If you have a steam boiler, check the water level in the gauge glass. If it’s at least ½ full, proceed to step 7. If you have a hot water boiler, proceed to step 7.
- Check your filters once you’ve turned off your system’s power. A clogged filter can cause your system to overheat and shut down. If the filter is clean, turn the power back on and proceed to step 7.
- Press and hold the “reset” button on your burner for 3 seconds. Do not push this button more than once. If your heating system still doesn’t start running, it’s time to call Black Bear for help.
Need help? Call Black Bear.
At Black Bear, we care about your safety, and if you’re not able to get your heating system back up and running yourself, then the professionals at Black Bear Fuel Oil, Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning can help. Our technicians will provide quality repair work in a reasonable amount of time.
At Black Bear Fuel Oil, Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning we provide affordability, quality service, and efficiency. Black Bear serves customers in Sullivan County and parts of Ulster and Orange Counties. Click here to see if you live in Black Bear’s service area.
Need heat? Call the Bear, and we’ll be there!