HVAC Care With Home Cleaning For Pet Owners
Pets give us so much – even the skin off their backs.
The bad news is that skin – or dander, and the fur that comes along with it – can have a big impact on your home heating equipment and cooling equipment (and your indoor air quality and energy bills as a result), especially in the summer (peak shedding season, as pet owners know all too well).
Ways to care for your HVAC with pets
That’s why it’s a good idea to stay on top of tasks that can keep your pet’s leave-behinds under control. Here are six ways to do just that.
- Control shedding – Brushing keeps shedding to a minimum. Consult your veterinarian for the proper ways to groom your pets.
- Stay on top of air filter changes – Air filters clogged with fur and dander cause your HVAC equipment to overwork, resulting in higher bills, more HVAC repairs, and less comfort. Check your HVAC air filter about once a month – more often if someone in the house suffers from allergies. Consider using HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filters if they’re available for your HVAC unit.
- Keep vents clean – Hair, dander and dust can clog your vent registers, too – so clean them regularly with a damp microfiber cloth.
- Consider professional duct cleaning – Clogged air ducts can breed viruses and bacteria – often in places deep within your ductwork that you can’t see or easily clean. A professional duct cleaning will take care of those hard-to-reach spots; the National Air Duct Cleaners Association (NADCA) recommends getting one every three to five years if you have pets.
- Consider adding whole-house IAQ equipment – Having an whole house air cleaner connected to your forced air system will ease some of the burden placed on your A/C or furnace air filters.
- Get professional HVAC maintenance every year – Preventative HVAC maintenance is the best insurance you have for nipping efficiency problems in the bud, and for preventing small issues from turning into costly HVAC repairs and breakdowns.
Pet owners: when was the last time you had your HVAC system serviced by a pro? If it’s been a while, take care of it before you have real problems on your hands (and paws). Contact us today to schedule routine HVAC maintenance today!