What Size Heating Oil Tank Do I Need?
If you’ve been considering swapping out your old oil storage tank with a newer, virtually leak-proof model, now’s a great time: changing weather combined with the Hudson Valley Energy Efficiency and Safety Rebate could put you in a new heating oil tank for less than you thought possible.
But what size heating oil tank do you need? Let’s take a look.
Factors to consider when choosing the right size heating oil tank:
- A typical residential heating oil tank size is 275 gallons and comes in either a vertical (275V) or horizontal (275H) orientation. Heating oil tanks may also come in different sizes depending on whether they’ll be installed above or below ground. Some other common above-ground tanks include 288, 340, 420, 500, 550, 675, and 1000 gallons (underground tanks can be much larger).
- Remember that the nameplate capacity of your tank (the number of gallons it says on the side of the tank) doesn’t represent he number of gallons of fuel that it will actually hold; some allowance must be made for air and debris in the tank. A 275-gallon tank will typically only hold about 235 gallons of heating oil.
- An industry rule-of-thumb is that one or two-bedroom homes most often need a 275-gallon heating oil tank; three or four bedroom homes need a 300 to 500-gallon tank.
- Other sizing factors to consider when shopping for a heating oil tank replacement include:
- Physical space: Some homes can’t fit larger heating oil tanks; be sure to measure your space before you start to shop for your tank.
- Family planning: As your family grows, so does your energy consumption; better to plan for this in advance if you can.
- Lifestyle references: Is your family eco-conscious? Do you spend long stretches away from home? Do you have elderly people under your roof that prefer a warmer house? All of these factors affect the amount of heating oil you need – and how big a tank your tank should be.
Once you’ve thought about these sizing factors, you’ll have a better idea where to begin your search for a heating oil tank upgrade. To learn more about other considerations, including tank construction materials, optimal heating oil tank placement and more, contact us to speak with a Black Bear heating system specialist.
Now is a great time to replace your old, worn-out heating oil tank with a new, virtually leak-proof model professionally installed by Black Bear. With the help of Hudson Valley Energy Efficiency and Safety Rebate, you can save $250 on a heating oil tank installation in Sullivan County when you replace your oil tank with a new aboveground or underground storage tank. But hurry – this offer is only available while available funds remain! Contact us today to learn more and get a FREE, no-obligation estimate on a heating tank upgrade for your Sullivan County home.
And remember: at Black Bear, your safety and comfort are always our priority. Please see our Covid-19 Service Update Page to learn more about how we are working to keep your family and our crews safe and your home comfort systems working through this challenging time.