Is Your Water Heater Okay?
Watch out for these signs of water heater trouble
How much time do you spend thinking about your water heater? When it’s working well, you probably don’t think about it much at all. Your water heater is an unsung hero in your Sullivan County home, working hard behind the scenes so that you and your family have hot water on demand day in and day out. Don’t wait until your water heater stops working to think about it. By then, you could find yourself shelling out thousands of dollars to repair the water damage in your basement. Avoid that by keeping a watchful eye on your water heater and looking out for some tell-tale signs that something is wrong.
Keep an eye out for…
If you notice any of the following, your water heater may be heading for trouble, and it’s time to get it repaired or replaced:
- Higher energy bills. Water heaters become less efficient over time. Pay attention to your energy bills. If there’s an increase despite constant or lower fuel prices, your water heater may be to blame.
- Leaks and rusty water. Puddles under your tank are a warning sign. You should also be concerned if your tank is putting out rusty water, because that’s a sign of corrosion. Don’t ignore a leak. Your tank may be on borrowed time. Black Bear Fuel Oil, Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning offers emergency and same-day plumbing services to our customers in and around Sullivan County. That includes water heater installation and repair.
- Hard water. If there’s a buildup of lime in your tank, you may start getting hard water. That can cause white marks on your silverware and glassware. This is a problem that needs to be addressed, because it can adversely affect your water heater’s efficiency and lifespan.
- Weird noises. A buildup of sediment can cause growling or gurgling sounds in your storage tank. Don’t wait to address this problem. If ignored, it could lead to expensive repairs or the premature replacement of your unit.
- Age. In addition to looking out for the warning signs mentioned above, keep track of your water heater’s age. At about 10 years old, it’s time to start considering replacement instead of additional repairs.
Don’t wait until your water heater fails to start thinking about it. If you notice any of the warning signs mentioned above, turn to the Bear. At Black Bear we treat your property as if it were our own and provide affordability, quality service, and efficiency. Black Bear serves customers in Sullivan County and parts of Ulster and Orange Counties. Click here to see if you live in Black Bear’s service area.
Whatever your plumbing needs are, contact Black Bear for affordable, quality service. We’re at home with residential plumbing.