End of Summer Air Conditioning Tips
An Important Checklist
It’s been a tough summer in Sullivan County. We’ve had some real scorchers. If you found all those hot and humid days hard to get through, give a thought to your central air conditioning system and how hard it had to work to keep you and your family cool. All that hard work could have left your AC worse for wear—especially if it’s getting up there in age.
Especially if you didn’t get a maintenance visit from Black Bear for your AC system during the spring, you should schedule one now to make sure your air conditioner is still in good shape after such a taxing summer. In fact, there are a few things you should do for your AC now so that you won’t have to worry about it when next summer comes around.
Your End of Summer AC To-Do List
Especially after a summer like the one we’ve had this year, it’s good to check for wear and tear and to get a sense of what kind of shape your AC is in.
Here are five things to do as summer is ending to take care of your central air conditioning system:
- Replace the air filter. Hopefully, you were doing this regularly all summer long. Do it again now before the start of the heating season. This is especially important if you have a combined heating/cooling HVAC system. Changing your air filters on a consistent basis is an easy and inexpensive way to improve the performance of your cooling system.
- Clean around the outdoor unit. Remove anything that could block airflow (e.g., bushes, grass, nests, leaves, etc.).
- Clean and clear the coils and condensate line. Ideally, you should have this done by a professional as part of a maintenance visit. The technicians at Black Bear can perform preventative maintenance to diagnose and correct any issues they find. Regular professional maintenance is the best way to prevent breakdowns and keep your AC running as efficiently as possible. And having an efficient cooling system will lower your energy costs.
- Check for problems. Inspect your system. Look for frayed wires, rust, refrigerant leaks, and frozen coils. If you see or hear anything that doesn’t seem right, contact Black Bear and one of our certified technicians will take care of it. With Black Bear you always get quality work done in a reasonable amount of time.
- Schedule a tune-up. Especially if you didn’t get maintenance for your AC during the spring or early summer, you should do it now. It’s one less thing you’ll have to worry about next year. Plus, there’s no disadvantage to doing it now, as tune-ups don’t expire. And if it turns out there’s an issue with your AC, it will be less stressful to address it now when you’re not relying as heavily on your AC. Especially since you won’t be as frustrated by supply chain slowdowns.
Taking care of your HVAC system today can prevent stressful and expensive repairs down the road. It will also keep your equipment running efficiently and help it last longer. That saves you money.
The maintenance you get from Black Bear is thorough and will help ensure your AC remains in top working order. As part of your maintenance visit, we’ll check the refrigerant levels to ensure there are no leaks, clean and tighten ducts and connectors, and oil up the motor within the AC unit.
Customers count on Black Bear Fuel Oil, Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning for affordability, quality service, and efficiency. Black Bear serves customers in Sullivan County and parts of Ulster and Orange Counties.
Don’t wait! Call the Bear to learn more or schedule your maintenance visit today!