Your Air Conditioning Checklist for the End of Summer
5 things to do for your AC as the summer ends
It’s important to stick to a routine maintenance schedule for your air conditioner. You want to be sure you can count on it during the hot dog days of summer. If you already took care of your AC in the spring, you’re ahead of the game! If you’ve been putting it off, don’t worry. Now is still a great time to give your AC some TLC. And if you find any serious problems, call on Black Bear. Black Bear Fuel Oil, Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning provides one-stop convenience with a personal touch for all your HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) needs.
Here are 5 tips for end-of-summer AC maintenance:
- Check and replace the oil filter: Your AC has been working hard for you all summer, and its air filter is probably coated in debris. A clogged air filter can impact your air conditioner’s performance by impeding its airflow. A clogged air filter will also affect your home’s air quality by allowing allergens to spread.
- Clean the space around your AC unit: Before the cold weather and snow arrives, you should clear anything that is obstructing your outdoor air conditioning unit—bushes, grass, leaves, et cetera—anything that could block airflow.
- Watch and listen: You’ll need your air conditioner less and less as summer in New York becomes autumn, but when you do run it, pay close attention, and listen out for any unusual sounds like rattling. Also keep a close eye out for rust and fraying wires.
- Clean the coils and condensate lines: A dirty condenser coil can reduce your air conditioner’s efficiency—decreasing its ability to cool your home while also increasing your energy costs. Similarly, as dust and debris accumulate on your evaporator coil, airflow gets blocks and your AC unit’s performance will decrease. A clean evaporator coil will also prevent the spread and growth of mold and mildew in the unit. Making sure all the components of your AC unit are clean and well-maintained is a job best left to the professionals as part of a maintenance service plan. Black Bear can make sure your AC receives top notch care.
- Call in the professionals: Even if you don’t notice any obvious problems, having a licensed professional provide preventative maintenance could save you from future headaches and expenditures. Studies have shown that 80% of home equipment failures could have been prevented by routine maintenance.
Call on Black Bear to professionally maintain and repair your HVAC equipment. If anything needs to be replaced, we can do that too. We’re Sullivan County’s first choice for HVAC installation, maintenance, and service, and your comfort is our top priority. In fact, you can schedule one visit to take care of your heating and AC systems at the same time so you’re ready for the approaching winter and ahead of the game for next summer.
Black Bear is your one stop shop for all your plumbing and HVAC needs. Contact us today to learn more. We’re here to help.