Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have questions about cleaning the drains in your Sullivan County home or business? Black Bear Fuel Oil, Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning is here with the answers. We offer affordable plumbing repair and plumbing services in Sullivan County, eastern Ulster County, and northern Orange County.
Whatever your plumbing needs, you can depend on Black Bear’s team of professional plumbing technicians to provide affordable and quality service—whether you’re a residential or commercial customer.
Residential Plumbing Services
Here are some of the jobs we can do for you in your home:
• Clog removal
• Frozen pipe repair
• Gas line installation and repair
• Leaking pipe repair
• Low water pressure repair
• Sewer line repair
• Sink and faucet installation
• Toilet installation, repair, and replacement
• Water heater installation and repair
Commercial Plumbing Services
Here are some of the ways our plumbers can help your business:
• Boiler maintenance, repair, and replacement
• Drain cleaning
• Emergency same-day service
• Gas line installation, repair, and replacement
• Grease trap plumbing maintenance and replacement
• Installation of fixtures, including toilets, sinks, and faucets
• Water heater maintenance, repair, and replacement
• Water pipe installation, repair, and replacement
Common Questions about Drain Cleaning
Q. What causes clogged drains?
A. Clogs usually happen when there’s a normal accumulation of substances in your drainpipes. Things like hair, dirt, soap, and other hygiene products contribute in the bathroom. In the kitchen, it’s usually an accumulation of food and grease. Sometimes, especially if you have young kids, toys and other items that shouldn’t get put down the drain are the culprits. If multiple drains in your home are draining inefficiently, the issue could be a main sewer clog. These are often caused by tree roots, wet wipes, or other dense objects.
Q. Do I need to clean my drain?
A. If water isn’t draining, or it’s draining slowly, your drain needs a cleaning. The same is true of any drain emitting a strong odor or that has drain flies.
Q. Can I clean a clogged drain myself?
A. For lightly clogged drains, you’ll probably be successful with simple, at-home methods. Here are some things you can try:
1. Straighten a wire coat hanger and make a half-inch hook at the end. Push it to the bottom of the drain and twist it to remove hair or other obstructions.
2. Pour in a mixture of vinegar and baking soda to dissolve the obstruction.
3. Pour boiling water into the drain to loosen the obstruction (but only do this once since boiling water can damage joints in PVC piping).
Whenever trying to clean a clogged pipe yourself, be careful not to do anything that could cause damage. Avoid caustic drain cleaners, which can severely corrode your pipes.
Black Bear never uses drain cleaners containing harmful chemicals, because they can severely damage your pipes and plumbing systems over time.
Q. When do I need to call a plumber to clean my drain?
If the above at-home fixes don’t resolve the issue, you should call a licensed plumber. And whenever you have a clog in your main line (meaning multiple drains are clogged), you should always call a professional.