Common Heater Problems To Look Out For
Have you had your yearly tune-up?
Winter isn’t done with us yet. Is your heater in good fighting shape? If it’s overdue for a yearly tune-up, don’t keep putting it off. Just because we’ve had a milder day here and there doesn’t mean your boiler or furnace is done for the season. Don’t risk having a no-heat emergency. There are some common problems you should keep an eye out for and have a pro address immediately.
What heating issues should I watch for?
If your boiler of furnace starts exhibiting any of the following issues, call Black Bear Fuel Oil, Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning for service:
- Warm air isn’t coming through your vents.
- If you have a pilot light, it’s burning yellow.
- You’re using the same amount of fuel and fuel prices haven’t increased, but your fuel bills are getting bigger.
- You hear grinding or banging noises when your heat is running.
- Your baseboards aren’t getting warm.
- Your system doesn’t turn off.
- Your system doesn’t turn on or stay on.
Any of the above is a sign to call for service as soon as possible. Otherwise, you risk having a no-heat emergency.
Hopefully, you haven’t noticed any of the above issues. If that’s the case, just be sure not to go more than a year without a tune-up. First, tune-ups help save you money because they keep your system working as efficiently as possible. Second, there are some issues only a trained professional is likely to find.
Why tune-ups are important
Getting an annual tune-up for your furnace or boiler is important. Here are five reasons you shouldn’t skip it.
- Lower bills: An unmaintained heating system can lose up to five percent of its efficiency every year. That’s money lost because your system will use more fuel than it needs to, and you’ll be paying for it.
- Improved reliability: In order to be sure your heating system will get you through the winter, get it checked out by a professional every year.
- Early problem detection: The vast majority of heating system repairs stem from issues a maintenance visit is designed to discover and address. Waiting until something goes so wrong you can’t ignore it is a great way to end up spending a lot more than you need to on repairs.
- Warranty protection: Many warranties have an annual maintenance requirement. Don’t risk having to pay out of pocket for a repair on a system under warranty because you skipped having it serviced.
- Health and Safety: Maintenance visits do more than improve efficiency, they also protect your family’s health by looking for the early warning signs of a carbon monoxide issue and fixing any problems before your health is put in danger.
With all your heating system needs to do for your home, make sure it’s up to the task. If it’s time for a tune-up, don’t put it off.
Black Bear Fuel Oil provides the best heating services in northern Orange County, Sullivan County, and eastern Ulster County. There isn’t a job we can’t handle. To see if your New York neighborhood is in our service area, enter your ZIP Code here.
Contact us today to learn more or to schedule a tune-up. Your comfort is our priority!