A Good Question for the Spring Season
Things have finally started warming up in Sullivan County. Flowers and trees are budding. Birds are nesting. And it’s almost time to pack up your winter clothes and break out the tee shirts and flips flops. Almost.
But before things really heat up and you find yourself in the middle of a scorching hot summer, now is a good time to give some thought to your central AC system and decide if it’s able to perform for you and your family when things really heat up or if it’s time to replace your AC.
Is Replacing My AC the Right Choice?
Age isn’t just a number when it comes to your AC. If your system is more than 15 years old, now is the right time to consider upgrading to a new and more efficient system. After an AC replacement you’ll be more comfortable in your home on even the hottest day. And because newer systems are more efficient, you’ll save money on your energy bills and decrease your carbon footprint.
Black Bear provides expert AC installation. We offer a full range of quality brand name air conditioning systems, including traditional central air systems and mini-split ductless systems. And you can trust us to give you a fair price on the equipment and all related services.
How Do I Make Sure My AC Is Ready for Summer?
If you’re holding on to the AC you have a bit longer, here are some things you need to do this spring to make sure you’re prepared for the hot months ahead:
- If it’s time, upgrade. As noted earlier, this will lower your energy costs and be better for the environment.
- Check your thermostat to make sure it’s working properly. Replace the batteries as needed.
- Check your vents. Move anything out of the way that could create an obstacle for the cool air coming out of your vents (e.g., drapes, curtains, furniture, etc.).
- Check your ductwork and seal up any obvious leaks. Fix any out-of-place duct joints in exposed ductwork areas. (Leaks lower the efficiency of your system.)
- Clear the drain line to ensure that water won’t get diverted back into your home or toward your foundation. (That could cause water damage and other problems.)
- Check your AC filter for blockages. Do this monthly and replace or clean it as needed. (A blocked filter will lower your system’s efficiency. A chronically blocked AC filter could cause your cooling system to fail.)
- Check all electrical connections and circuit breakers. Make sure there are no issues with the wiring that could cause you to lose power to your AC.
- Clean the outdoor condenser unit so that it’s free of all debris like leaves, twigs, and nests. This will help ensure that your system has adequate airflow.
Let Black Bear Handle It
In addition to AC installation, Black Bear also performs AC system repairs and maintenance in Sullivan County, eastern Ulster County, and northern Orange County. An annual air conditioning maintenance visit will save you money all summer long and help reduce your need for repairs in the future.
Ready to schedule your HVAC maintenance visit? Want a free estimate on a new air conditioning system? Call the Bear, and we’ll be there!