How To Avoid A Thanksgiving Plumbing Disaster
It happens every year at locations all over Sullivan County: someone makes the mistake of pouring grease from that delicious turkey down the drain, and 24 hours later, they’re faced with a backed-up kitchen sink.
Talk about a Black Friday.
If his has happened to you in the past, you can take at least some comfort in knowing that Thanksgiving is famous for its plumbing disasters – whether they happen in the sink, the garbage disposal, or even the underused guest bathroom. You can take even more comfort knowing that our master plumbers are here to help if you have a plumbing emergency on Black Friday or any other day of the year.
Of course, the best way to deal with a plumbing problem is to avoid it in the first place. Here are some tips for doing that.
Healthy habits for happy plumbing
- Pour any excess grease from turkey or roast pans into a disposable container and let it congeal; then discard the container in the trash. If that’s not possible, clean up oil and grease with paper towels and discard them.
- Be mindful of what you put in your garbage disposal; in particular, avoid putting in the following items:
- Celery, pumpkin or potato flesh, or other fibrous foods
- Coffee grounds
- Egg shells
- Fruit pits
- Always use plenty of water in your disposal, and let it run at least 20-30 seconds
- Ask your house guests to wait 10-15 minutes between showers to allow drains to clear.
- TP only in your toilet!
- If you have any plumbing issues, take care of them before company arrives.
Avoid Thanksgiving plumbing disasters – if you have a plumbing problem, take care of it before you have a houseful of people and a sinkful of food scraps. Contact the plumbing experts at Black Bear today to schedule a plumbing appointment!