Preparing Your A/C For Summer: 5 To-dos
Warmer weather is on the horizon here in Sullivan County – which means it’s time to get your central A/C in shape for the heat to come.
Here are five things you can do in the coming weeks to prepare your HVAC equipment for its annual home cooling workout.
Home Cooling System Spring Checklist
- Check your air filter – A clogged air filter blocks airflow, which causes your A/C to waste energy as it goes about its cooling duties. Replace your air filter early in the season and check it every 30 days when your air conditioner is in daily use.
- Clear the condenser – Birds, insects and other creatures can make a home inside of the condensing unit; remove their nests before you power up your A/C. It’s also important to keep condenser coils clean and clear so they can dissipate heat: use a garden hose to push out yard and other debris, taking care not to bend over the delicate aluminum fins.
- Clean vents and check ductwork – Clean vent registers with soapy water to remove dust, then clear away vent obstructions such as rugs, curtains, furniture, and other items. If you detect a lingering, stale smell coming from your vents, consider having the ductwork professionally cleaned and sealed.
- Run your HVAC system– On a warm day, start up the air conditioner to make sure it powers on and off properly. If it doesn’t,
- Make sure your thermostat is set for the “air conditioner” or “cool” setting
- Make sure that your thermostat is set to at least 5 degrees below the current room temperature
- Check circuit breakers to make sure they have not been tripped
- Make sure all power switches affecting the unit are in the on position
- If you’ve tried all of these measures and the A/C still doesn’t work, contact us for air conditioning service.
- Schedule annual maintenance – Professional air conditioning maintenance keeps your equipment running better for longer and helps spot small issues before they become expensive repairs. Schedule your home cooling maintenance now and beat the Memorial Day rush!
Warmer days and nights are coming to New York – make sure your air conditioner is ready for the challenge. Contact Black Bear today to schedule air conditioning maintenance in Sullivan County, NY!