5 Tips for Maintaining Your Ductless A/C System
Posted: July 29, 2016
Mini-Split air conditioners (also called ductless systems) are a great way to cool your home – they’re efficient, flexible, unobtrusive, and they keep your indoor air healthy (since there are no ducts, you avoid micro-organism and mold build-up in a mini-split system).
But like any HVAC system, you have to maintain a mini-split system properly to keep it working at its best. Although a qualified professional should do most of that maintenance, there are a few things you can do to keep your ductless system at the top of its game.
- Clean or replace filters regularly – Clogged filters can add 20 percent to your monthly bill! Follow manufacturer’s instructions to maintain your filters, especially during the cooling season.
- Maintain space around the indoor units – Ductless air conditioners work best if you keep them away from dust-gathering furniture and wall art. Aim for four feet of clear space in every direction.
- Keep the face and vents of your indoor units dust-free – Wipe down your A/C each week with a damp cloth to remove efficiency-robbing dust and dirt.
- Clean the coil and condenser – The outside portion of your mini-split system needs to be free of dust and dirt, too. Use garden hose to spray the unit and remove any remaining debris by hand – just be sure to power down before you start your cleanup!
- Never skip routine maintenance! – Annual tune-ups (included in our Big and Little Paw Service Plans) can help you spot minor issues before they become big problems.
If your mini-split system is ready for a once-over, don’t wait – contact us today to sign up for one of our high-value service plans. If you don’t have a ductless system but want to learn more about their benefits, contact us for a FREE estimate and consultation!